Upgrade from Centos 7 and where to go

Fidolas

Hi,

Due to the end of life of Centos 7, my question is aimed at knowing what the recommendations may be to migrate the system. As I understand it, Centos 8 has an even worse situation than Centos 7 and therefore other alternatives will have to be evaluated.

I would like to know if there are already some proven working scripts that facilitate the migration, allowing the CWP configurations to be preserved when moving them to a new operating system. Is there a tutorial posted here that makes this task easier? What is the recommendation regarding this matter? Of all the possibilities, which one is the closest in terms of stability and security to what Centos 7 offered until now?

17 hours ago, Fidolas said:

Thanks for answer about this issue. Is there any script to ease the upgrade from Centos 7 to Centos 8 Stream? Is there any tutorial published? There are issues?

it is not recommended this will cause many issues you need a fresh server to do the migration via cwp-cwp migration module 

3 hours ago, Fidolas said:

I want to mean that I can go with snapshots of the whole drive. And if there are serious issues then I can rollback into the previous system. That's why I want a method more or less reliable to upgrade and try it. 

you can use this elevate guide from alamalinux  https://wiki.almalinux.org/elevate/ELevating-CentOS7-to-AlmaLinux-9.html#migrate-centos-7-to-almalinux-8
don't elevate to almalinux 9 for now

I've been toying with the idea of doing a fresh install of CWP on a fresh install of Almalinux 8.  Due to the built-in Elevate support in Alma, there is a good chance that when CWP for EL9 eventually arrives Alma could be updated in-place via Elevate, followed by an update to the EL9 compatible CWP version.

Of course, that could be all just a dream.😏

On 12/18/2023 at 11:38 PM, SeaScoot said:

I've been toying with the idea of doing a fresh install of CWP on a fresh install of Almalinux 8.  Due to the built-in Elevate support in Alma, there is a good chance that when CWP for EL9 eventually arrives Alma could be updated in-place via Elevate, followed by an update to the EL9 compatible CWP version.

Of course, that could be all just a dream.😏

el8 to el9 elevate can be possible but need to check it first, if all good will provide a topic with instructions 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2023 at 11:57 PM, Starburst said:

I've successfully updated AlmaLinux 8.x to 9.x

Took awhile to get the sequence right, but stuck on PHP 7.4.33.
spacer.png

Just waiting on CWP 9 now.

You may not be able to use the PHP selector, it was not still working with Almalinux 9.

Regards,

Netino

On 12/28/2023 at 6:57 PM, Starburst said:

I've successfully updated AlmaLinux 8.x to 9.x

Took awhile to get the sequence right, but stuck on PHP 7.4.33.
spacer.png

Just waiting on CWP 9 now.

Can you post tips on what you needed to do to make it work?